Friday, November 15, 2013

Pappy's Stew







Oh my goodness. This is a GREAT recipe for some YUMMY SOUP!! So, there is a story behind the name! My dad makes the best cabbage soup ever! Well, none of us would ever try it when we were kids because #1- the name! (who wants to eat cabbage, right!??) and #2- because of the smell of it cooking!!! Cabbage has an 'odor' while it cooks, enough said! LOL!  But, as I got older and braved up the courage to taste it, I fell in love! It is AWESOME! So much flavor and great on a cold day! So, when my dad made it one day when we were at my parent's house visiting I knew that I didn't want to tell my kids it was "cabbage soup" so we told them that it was Pappy's Stew. They were all excited about that one!! So, they tried it and loved it! Ate the whole bowl and asked for more. They request Pappy's Stew weekly and that is no exaggeration! I am actually planning to make it for dinner tonight!! It is filling, so healthy and doesn't make you feel guilty after eating it! Give it a try!! It is worth it all the way!!


Pappy's Stew

1/2 Head of cabbage, chopped

1/2 bag of baby carrots
1 onion, sliced thin
3-4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2-3 cups of water (until soupy!)
1-2 cups cubed ham
1 stalk celery, chopped (optional)
2 cups chicken broth (maybe more, add for flavor)
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Put everything in a big pot together and let simmer on the stove until ready to eat! It's soup, so the longer it sits together, the better it tastes!


You can really put anything in it you would like!! It is just a great base for a yummy soup! 


No comments:

Post a Comment