Sunday, November 10, 2013

CHILI- the healthy version!








THE BEST CHILI EVER!

Okay, so as soon as fall gets here I am all about soup! I want it all the time! A different kind every night of the week. No joke! How many of you feel the same way? So, chili is something that I have made for years. I have tried so many different recipes and each one that I have tried is good in its own way, but this one… MAN, I FINALLY nailed it! I made a cleaner version of chili that is so delicious that you won't even notice the missing fat content! I've tweaked it to perfection! Now, try it and let me know what you think!


MY FAVE CHILI RECIPE!!

1 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 pound chicken breast
1 59 ounce 'bottle' of tomato juice
1 big can of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp white organic sugar
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
2 cans dark kidney beans (RINSED!)


So, this is how I make mine. I will give you a few other 'options below!! I put the ground turkey and chicken in the crockpot and cook it for 4-5 hours on low when it is NOT frozen. If it is frozen meat, then I will cook it on high for about 5 hours.  In a big pot combine all of the other ingredients and cook on low/simmer for about 2 hours. I usually chop all of the veggies in a food processor. My family and I like everything chopped really fine. My kids don't like to see 'chunks' of veggies in their soup.. So, puree or chop very fine and they will never know!! After the meat is cooked, chop it up and shred the chicken then add it to the pot of sauce. Cook on low for about another 30 minutes then...Ready to go!!! :) Remember, the longer chili sits together the better it tastes!!

*I just put the chicken in there to try it and I LOVE it this way! It adds something and it is so good!!*

No comments:

Post a Comment