Okay!! So, last night it was so cold and icky outside that I knew that we needed a warm, yummy, hearty meal!!! BUT, I also like to know that it isn't going to break all of the hard work that I do with my workouts and also with my clean eating for myself and my family! I have had this once before and it was yummy, but it has been awhile! So, I changed up last night's dinner plans and decided to make the Zucchini Lasagna again for my family! SUCCESS!! I mean it was so delicious! I forgot how good it really is! I mean, after ONE BITE my four year old was telling my husband and I how YUMMY it was for her tummy and she wanted it for breakfast the next morning!! That is definitely music to any momma's ears! Healthy food can taste great! Just make it right!! My husband loved it and my six year old (who gave me grief BEFORE trying it) ended up loving it too! WIN WIN!!
So, on to the recipe!!!
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 small zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 24 oz of low fat cottage cheese
- 1 jar of no sugar added spaghetti sauce (I use whatever I find that is organic)
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Combine onion, ground turkey, salt, pepper, garlic powder in a skillet and brown turkey until no longer pink.
- Layer Zucchini in the bottom of your pan, then spread a layer of cottage cheese, then a little bit of mozzarella cheese, follow that with a layer of ground turkey mixture, spread a layer of sauce on top.
- Repeat this over again. Then layer one final row of zucchini on top and cover with sauce and a little sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for 10 more minutes then remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
Yes it will be a little bit runny due to the water in the zucchini, sauce and the cottage cheese. I used a slotted spoon to scoop out the lasagna which allows the liquids to stay in the dish.
It is honestly amazing! I hope you enjoy it!!!
I know we will be having this as a weekly meal!! It is THAT GOOD!!!