Thursday, January 23, 2014

Almond Crusted Tilapia (or Chicken!)













This recipe is so good! It gives your fish or chicken an amazing flavor all while being super healthy! It gets an A+ from my family, so I want to share it with you!!


Ingredients:

1 1/2-2 pounds of chicken or tilapia
1 pound bag of unsalted almonds
1 cup (maybe a little more) egg whites
salt
pepper
paprika
onion powder
garlic powder


This makes a LOT of breading. I usually divide it in half and freeze the half I'm not using for next time! Simple and easy! I'm all about freezing leftovers or 1/2 of dinners so I can just pull them out next time we have it!

DIRECTIONS:

Okay- so first thing is first. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. It makes clean up so much easier!!

In a food processor blend the almonds, salt, pepper, paprika, onion and garlic powders until fine.  I honestly just guestimate the seasonings. I am sorry if you are a a measuring person!!! I just put a pinch here and a dash there!! Taste it along the way to see how you like it!

Okay, separate the mixture and freeze half at this point.

Now, take your meat. Cut it into slices. I will put mine in between plastic wrap and 'pound' them until thin. They cook faster and taste better when they are thin!! Usually 6-8 pieces! Put the egg whites in a bowl and now you will want to coat your meat in egg whites. I usually get it pretty wet with egg whites and then I dip the meat into the almond flour mixture! Coat it well and place it on the GREASED cookie sheet with the foil on it. To grease it, I just take a little bit of Olive Oil on a cooking brush and brush the foil with it before I put my chicken down on it. Works great.

BAKING:
If you are like me and like your chicken/fish CRISPY then bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. At the 10 minute mark I take them out of the oven, flip them over (so they don't get soggy) and finish cooking. THEN I put them under the broiler for about 5 minutes to get the tops really crispy like "fried" chicken!!

Try it tonight! I hope you LOVE it as much as we do!

I generally serve with baked sweet potatoes and baked asparagus with LOTS of garlic ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment